St. John’s Medical College Hospital: The construction work of the second phase consisting of a 800-bed hospital, Nurses’ hostel and residences of Staff was started in April 1971. The out-patient departments were opened on December 8, 1975. Thereafter, the inpatient departments were opened gradually. With the third phase of construction completed in 1987, the campus has all the required facilities including a beautiful auditorium, with 1100 seats, from 1996, as a memorial of the Silver Jubilee of this Institution. At present St. John’s Medical College Hospital has 1200 in-patient beds, distributed among the Departments of General Medicine, Medical Oncology, Endocrinology, General Surgery, Surgical Oncology, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Gynaecologic Oncology, Paediatrics, Paediatric Surgery, Radiology, Psychiatry, Thoracic Surgery, Dental Surgery, Plastic Surgery, Ophthalmology, Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology, Genito-Urinary Surgery, ENT diseases, Nephrology, Orthopaedics, Intensive Care, Cardiac Care, Cardiology, Neurology, Neuro-Surgery, Gastroenterology, Emergency Medicine, Anaesthesiology, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Pain and Palliative Care, Radio-immuno- Assay and Hemo-Dialysis. This is the teaching hospital of our College.
The College of Nursing is situated in the College & Hospital Sector. Started as a School of Nursing on July 1, 1980, it was raised to the status of a College of Nursing on September 25, 1989 and conducts courses in General Nursing & Midwifery, Basic B.Sc., Post Certificate B.Sc. and M.Sc. Nursing Courses in Medical Surgery, Community Health, Paediatrics, Obst. and Gynae and Psychiatry.
In December 1994, the Institution was re-named as ST. JOHN'S NATIONAL ACADEMY OF HEALTH SCIENCES and five Institutes placed under it:
- St. John's Medical College;
- St. John's College of Nursing;
- St. John's Institute of Health Management and Para-Medical Studies;
- St. John's Medical College Hospital;
- St. John's Research Institute